General

How to Make Your Home a Healthier Place to Live

Image credit Pexels CC0 License

A home is a place of sanctuary, somewhere that you should be able to completely relax and feel safe and secure. The house is the hub of family life; it’s the place where you raise your kids, make memories, and deal with life’s ups and downs. However, not all homes are healthy places to live. Many issues can arise within a house, that can have an impact on the health of the occupants. Some of these are hidden nasties that you may not even realize are there.

Every parent wants to raise their kids to be happy and healthy, so your home must help to facilitate this. Here are some of the issues that householders face within their homes, that can impact on both the health and wellbeing of the occupants:

Know the Dangers of Radon

Radon is a naturally-occurring, odorless gas that is given off by rock or soil and can seep into your home. It is essential to get radon levels in your home tested; otherwise, you will have no idea if your home contains harmful levels of the gas. In the United States, radon is the most common cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. The American Cancer Society estimates that approximately 20,000 lung cancer deaths per year in the US occur as a result of radon exposure. 

If elevated radon levels are found in your home after testing, a radon mitigation system can be installed. You may be shocked by the results, which may leave you wondering How Much Does a Radon Mitigation Company Cost? The cost is dependent on several variables. Such as how large your house is, and the mitigation system that you choose. For the sake of yours and your family’s health, it is far better to invest in the system than to live with elevated radon levels in your home.

Manage Mold Issues

Mold is a common issue in homes and is commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms. These are the most likely places for mold to develop due to the high moisture levels and steam caused by running water, showers, and cooking. However, mold can occur in other parts of the home too. Food or drink spillages that haven’t been properly cleaned can cause mold to grow, as can condensation on walls, or areas that have received water damage after a leak. Mold can appear in even the cleanest of homes without the owners even realizing, as the spores can be invisible.

Many people try to eliminate mold from their homes as it looks unsightly, but did you know that it can make you sick too? 

Some people are more sensitive to mold spores and can suffer a range of health complaints when exposed to mold. Common conditions related to mold spores include asthma and other respiratory problems, throat irritation, watery eyes, and sinus infections.

To prevent mold and mildew, keep your home well-ventilated, and when you do spot mold, ensure that you safely and effectively clean it with a bleach solution.

Leave a Reply